Managing Breakouts During Exercise
It’s common to notice acne getting worse when engaging in a workout routine. When we exercise, our pores open, we sweat, and this can cause a buildup of bacteria, dirt and oil that clogs pores and aggravates acne.
Even though it sounds like a good excuse to stop working out, exercise really is important to a healthy lifestyle and can even reduce certain types of acne associated with stress. If you notice that your acne breakouts coincide with exercise, try these tips to keep your skin looking clear.
- Start with a clean slate. Remove any makeup before working out by using a gentle cleanser.
- Pull your hair up and away from your face and neck.
- Wear a clean COVID mask if working out in a center and clean workout clothing if you’re prone to body acne.
- Choose clothing that is breathable, moisture-wicking and loose-fitting on acne prone areas.
- Clean any exercise equipment that may contact your skin.
- If exercising outdoors, choose a mineral sunscreen to protect from sun damage.
- Use a clean towel to pat off, rather than rub off, sweat during your workout.
- Clean your skin immediately after your workout. Use a gentle cleanser, such as our Gentle Hair & Body Wash, to remove impurities and nourish skin.
We hope these tips help reduce the occurrence of acne after your workouts!